Moving moving from Canada to the USA – what’s to know?
As the country that provides great benefits to its residents, it may be surprising that many are moving out of Canada. But the truth is that in recent years there has been many who are moving from Canada to the USA. While it’s a paradise for expats, people are relocating for many reasons. Better job opportunity, high living costs or for personal reasons. If you wish to leave this beautiful country, here’s what you need to know when relocating from the country.
Things that you need to consider when moving from Canada to the USA
Moving abroad can be the most overwhelming process that you’ve ever experienced. It will be stressful, costly and time-consuming. Still, if you prepare mentally and start planning in advance, you can make this terrifying task a lot easier.
Here are some things that you have to take into consideration when you’re planning moving from Canada to the USA:
- Choosing the moving destination
- Acquiring necessary documentation
- Determining the moving budget
- Elaborating a plan for packing and moving your belongings
- Finding a new home in a new country
- Finding a job
- Tiding all the loose ends before you move out of Canada
Choose the ideal moving destination
Whatever reason you have to move abroad from Canada, you have to consider all the features of the country that you are planning to move, which is the USA in this case. If you are moving with your family, the situation is even trickier. In that case, each member of your family has to be on board with the move and you have to take all their needs into consideration.
When you choose the destination that piques your interest be sure that it fills these boxes:
- Affordable living costs – It’s very simple really. You need to make sure that your incomes can match the monthly living costs. If you will struggle to survive in the new country due to the high expenses, then moving at this point may not be such a wise decision.
- Career opportunities – Make sure that the state and the city you are moving to has a strong job market, and that there is a demand for your field of expertise.
- Cultural differences – As a Canadian, you have a big advantage when it comes to adapting to the new cultural environments in the USA. Still, some transitions may be very shocking if you aren’t prepared for them. Before you start packing, make sure to find out all about the culture of the specific country, so you will know what to expect.
- Climate – You are probably accustomed to the harsh Canadian winters, so if you’re moving to some of the warmer states, such as Florida or California where high temperatures are natural, it may be harder than you think.
Visas and other related documentation can be one of the toughest and most expensive parts of moving out of Canada, depending on your destination country. You wouldn’t believe what types of visas are out there. For example, USA alone has 185 different types of visas. It can be a very confusing process.
The one that will be best handled by the skilled immigration attorney. If you can afford one, it will make things so much easier.
If you don’t, you can handle the visa application process on your own, you just have to arm yourself with patience. The best thing is to go to the local embassy and determine what documentation and the type of visa you require.
Planing the moving budget
Moving is very expensive, and moving abroad require a pretty big budget. In order to see if moving out of Canada is even possible, you have to determine your moving budget. Moving budget is based on the total cost of the moving. You need to calculate your moving costs in advance in order to see what moving budget your move will require.
Besides the actual costs of the relocation, a well-planned moving budget has to include these features also:
- Personal relocation costs – Travel arrangements for you and/or your family from Canada to the new country.
- Temporary housing costs – Even if you’ve already chosen your perfect new home, the likelihood of you and your shipment arriving at your destination at the same time is low. That is why you should always count in the cost of temporary housing options. There may not be a need for that, but it is good to have that option open and enough money for it. Just in case.
- Travel budget – When you arrive into the new country, you will probably want to explore its charms. There’s a lot to explore, so it is not a bad idea to have money set aside for that opportunities. Also, you will need some funds to visit your homeland from time to time.
Packing and moving your belongings
When moving from Canada to the USA, there’s an ultimate rule that will make everything easier and less expensive – hire the reliable moving company and pack light.
Hiring moving company
When you are moving abroad, hiring the moving company is an absolute necessity. You just can’t transport and ship your belongings on your own to the new country, if you wish that they arrive safe and without any damages. There are many great movers that can help you with this hard process. If you are moving from Canada to the USA, then Dumbo Moving and Storage NYC is an excellent recommendation. This company has a spotless record in providing the best service. Plenty of satisfied customers can vouch for their reliability, and these movers are at the very top of the moving industry in America.
You probably want to move all of your things to your new home. While doable, this action will set you back for thousands of dollars. That’s really unnecessary expense since you probably have many things that you don’t use.
When you are moving out of Canada make sure that you only bring the items that you absolutely can’t live without.
With moving abroad, moving costs are based on the total weight of your shipment. The heavier the shipment is, the more zeroes your bill will have.